Tuesday, March 16, 2010

City Clerk Retiring! ::

I came across this in this week's Camden Chronicle-Independent about my cousin, Betty, retiring after 28 years as Camden's city clerk:

t took two tries for Camden Mayor James Anderson to get Betty Slade to take the job as city clerk at Camden City Hall.

The first time was in 1980. Slade wasn't ready. She had already worked at a variety of jobs around the county and was focusing a bit more on raising her children. During the next two years, her husband, Larry, ended up getting a job that took him to West Virginia.

"He rode back and forth and I thought we were going to move," Slade said. "That job didn't work out and our house in Lugoff hadn't sold. Around the same time that Larry told me he was coming back, Mayor Anderson called me again. The Lord works in mysterious ways."

And that was how, on July 28, 1982, Betty Slade became Camden City Clerk. Slade will leave that position on April 1 and then use a large chunk of accrued administrative leave to finish out 28 years of service through the end of July.

"Who knew I would be here for 28 years? I certainly had no clue," said Slade.


I think there's more to the article, but it is not available on-line. Here's what Betty looked like when we were kids and she was in pigtails!



I wonder if there will be a retirement party!

No comments: