Saturday, March 5, 2011

More Sad News ::

The news that Hugh Fields has passed away was just sent to me, but I don't have any details yet. I'll follow up later when I can learn more.

[update]

I just got an e-mail from Buster with the following information:

The obituary for Hugh Fields appeared in the local paper yesterday. Hugh lived in Linville N.C. and the cause of death was luekemia.

His mother, Lucille, and I worked for the same company for a couple of years, so I had the pleasure of knowing a very fine lady. Our professional relationship allowed me to meet w/ Hugh and he was as pleasant and friendly now as he was when we were in school.

One of my favorite memories of Hugh was one spring break afternoon when we were in college, I stopped by 'the Pad' in Ocean Drive to get a beer and some guy with a pink shirt was walking a bulldog among the several hundred discarded beer cans. When I got closer I realized it was Hugh. He had always had 'style.'


Back in the mid 70's I was in art school in Atlanta and working part-time in a camera store in Cumberland Mall. One day who should walk in but Hugh, catching me off guard. We chatted for a bit until he had to leave.

No comments: