Saturday, July 4, 2009

Tomato Pie Recipe ::

As promised here is how I fixed my Tomato Pie.

I started with Paula Deen's basic recipe but, as usual, I modified it a little bit.

Ingredients:

1 9" pie shell (I got the cheap frozen one from the Wal-Mart)
3 or 4 ripe tomatoes
1 onion (I would have preferred Vidalia, but all I had was yellow)
12 large fresh Basil leaves
1 cup mayonnaise (I used the light kind)
1 cup Mozzarella cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste (I always prefer sea salt and coarse ground black pepper)

I took the pie shell, after thawing, and put it in a 350° oven for about 10 minutes just to brown it a bit.

I sliced the tomatoes and put them in a colander to drain while I thinly sliced the onion. During the summer I always grow Basil so I went outside and whacked off 12 large leaves and chopped them finely. I put the onions on the pie shell followed by a full layer of tomatoes. I found that 3 tomatoes were enough. I then sprinkled the fresh Basil over the tomatoes followed by salt and pepper.

I mixed the mayonnaise, Mozzarella and Parmesan well in a bowl and covered the top of the pie with this mixture. This was then put in a 350° oven for between 45 minutes and one hour. When it was done I let it cool for 10 or 15 minutes before slicing.

I looked at several recipes before fixing mine as above. Some recommended 30 to 35 minutes at 425° but I generally like to cook slower so I went with the 350° temperature. One of the beauties of this recipe is that the final outcome can be varied depending on which cheeses are chosen. I think that next time I will try the Monterey Jack in place of the Mozzarella.

Give this easy recipe a try-I think you'll like it!

No comments: