Sunday, August 2, 2009

Coke Goodwin ::

I cribbed this entire article from the really crappy on-line edition of The Chronicle-Independent. I keep intending to subscribe to the dead tree edition, but I keep forgetting so I'm posting this article about Coke Goodwin in the entirety of which it was published on the web.

I had Mr. Goodwin for both Chemistry and Physics and I've got to say that he was one of my favorite teachers. My only regret is that I so much marginalized the importance of math in my education. Every time I get a chance to talk to a young person I emphasize the importance of learning math in whatever path they choose in pursuing their education.


Longtime educator cashes in 49-year career for job opportunities for others

For several years, Coke Goodwin has looked forward to celebrating his 50th year as an employee in the education system.

But a few months ago, Goodwin walked into Camden High School Principal Reggie Dean's office and voluntarily quit his teaching job after his 49th year. Goodwin hoped that by his decision to resign, other teachers' jobs may have been spared.

"To be blunt with you, I wanted to make 50 years. But with the economy like it is, my making 50 years wasn't as important as what was going to happen financially in this district," Goodwin said. "I went in and told the principal that with this situation, I wouldn't be back and maybe it would save one or two other peopleƕs jobs."

Sitting in his Camden home, Goodwin's eyes lit up as he talked about his career. But when asked about what made him want to become a teacher, Goodwin let out a big sigh.


I added some emphasis, but I salute one of my teachers from high school who I think of often, as I'm sure many others do!

No comments: