Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Selling Off Our Old High School? ::

I saw this Monday in the on-line edition of The Chronicle-Independent and wondered if it was our old school, but I forgot about it 'til I got this e-mail from Jim Ring today:

I see from The Chronicle (on-line edition) that the halls we walked throughout high school are on the market, destined, I suppose, to go the route of the CHS building it replaced. I'm saddened to see it, although I guess I really shouldn't be suprised. It just never occured to me it would happen in my lifetime. Maybe if had continued to live in Camden over the past four plus decades I wouldn't think much of it. I think we all have volumes of great memories attached to that building. As I sit here typing I see images in my mind's eye as clear as if it were yesterday.....Mr. Hipp's geometry class, the cafeteria, the band room, the library (hello Mrs. Morrison wherever you are)...and certainly all the kids who were a big part of such a special time in my life. I moved away from Camden the summer after we graduated. But, in my heart, I still consider it home.




The allusion to Rawson Hipp's geometry class brings back a lot of memories, most of them humorous in spite of my deficiency in math. The reference to Mrs. Morrison also brought back some old memories of great times in the library. I also remember vividly Mrs. Schreiber's french class. Who was it who could sleep with his eyes open?

We've been privy to sea changes in our lives and the world is just so much different than when we were youngsters! I often wonder just how my grandchildren will relate to their youth when they approach our ages. I hope that they have a better world than what we have now, but I'm pretty pessimistic!

[UPDATE] I was looking at the obits in this morning's The State and came across this:

CAMDEN — Funeral service for Rachel Susan Schreiber Neal, 53, will be held Thursday at 11:00 a.m. at Mt. Olivet Baptist Church with burial to follow in the church cemetery. Rev. Steve Lee will officiate. The family will receive friends Thursday 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. prior to the service at the church. Memorials may be made to Mt. Olivet Baptist Church.

Mrs. Neal, wife of the late Rusty Neal, died Monday, August 3, 2009. Born in Camden, she was a daughter of the late Dr. Herbert Schreiber and Gladys G. Schreiber.

Surviving are her children, David Neal II and his wife, Bonnie, Dustin Neal and his wife, Dawn, Herbert Neal and his fiance, Jordan Lynch, and Jack Neal; brothers, Toby Schreiber, Tommy Schreiber, and Max Schreiber; sister, Rebecca Kitchen; and grandchildren, Ali Neal, Madison Neal, Mackenzie Neal, Blayne Neal, and Katherine Gladys Neal.

No comments: