Thursday, September 30, 2010

Revisiting Memories From The Day Of The Reunion ::

When I was on my way to the reunion last month I made a very slight detour to see my great-uncle who lives on Flat Rock Rd. just a few short miles from the Shrine Club. I had not seen him in many years and I just wanted to say hello. He will be 91 in November, lives alone, drives himself around, and still runs a small herd of cattle. He looked great and it was wonderful to see him!

This will lead me into my reminisce about the photograph below.



When I was a little guy this building housed county prisoners who made up the chain gangs that went out and did road work. It is diagonally across the road from my great-uncles house and his father-in-law worked there in some capacity. I don't remember just what he did. He may have been in charge or he may have just been a guard, but I seem to remember him being in some administrative position.

When the ditch in front of my grandparents house would clog from dirt run-off after rains my grandfather would call Mr. Burch and he would send over a chain gang to shovel out the ditches. I vividly remember them wearing the striped uniform of prisoners and their hobbling leg irons all the while with a shotgun armed guard watching over them. I don't know when this building was put out of service as a work camp, but it surely does remind me of Cool Hand Luke!

Just to add a bit more to this post, My great-uncle is J.E. Horton, father of Betty Slade and grandfather of Laurie Slade Funderburk. When I was a kid I spent many wonderful times playing with Betty!

Times surely have changed!

No comments: