Monday, December 10, 2007

A Remembrance of Michael Christmas

From Garrett Miller:

Almost 40 years ago I received a letter from my Mother telling me that Mike Christmas was stationed in B Company, 4th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, Fort Polk, LA. The reason for the letter was because my mailing address at the time was C Company, 4th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, Fort Polk, LA. I had completed my AIT training for an 11B MOS and was on orders for Vietnam but then I got sick, spent 3 weeks in the hospital and had a rather long running medical profile. The army, in its infinite wisdom, decided that I knew how to write (I did nothing to discourage this) so they made me a Congressional Correspondent. I was billeted in C Company because it was where they wanted me to sleep. Having said all this you now know how Mike and I came to see each other in the Army. Maybe all this happened for a reason.

After receiving the letter I simply walked next door and found Mike. He was going through the same AIT training that I had completed some months earlier so I had a very vivid knowledge of what he was currently involved in. I was permanent party at Fort Polk and had the rank of Spec. 4 at the time. Mike and I would sit on the back steps of his barracks and have some very long and strained discussions concerning his inevitable orders for the infantry in Vietnam and what avenues he could possibly take to prevent his going. We decided there were no honorable avenues, Mike was a man and so he did the right thing and went without any other hesitation. I had been informed that my orders for Vietnam would be given as soon as my medical profile expired. Mike was scared! Hell, we were all scared at the time. He told me he had a premination about going overseas and the feeling was that if he did go he would not come home. I don’t recall all that we talked about but I didn’t have that feeling about myself and I tried to comfort and calm Mike. I have always hoped and prayed that I was of some help. He was a long time, childhood friend.

My Mother was close friends with the Christmas’ and Mike and I grew up together in the First Baptist Church where both families were active. Mother and I attended Mike’s funeral and on the way back to the car following the grave side service Mom completely broke down and had to be helped to the car. You see, I was leaving for Vietnam on the following Monday. For Mom that was like staring down a loaded gun, I was her only son. Thank God that Mom was spared any further real grief. I came home a little scarred but OK.

What I found about Mike’s friendship was that it had no boundaries. It crossed all lines and extended to people regardless of position. Mike still brings joy to my life when I think about our youth and the times we spent together. Mike’s death makes me feel sorry for all of us and the times we could have shared with him through life. I miss having that opportunity. Mike was a real friend.

No comments: