Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes! ::

I bought a few pounds of green tomatoes yesterday from a grower from Tennessee who sells down here just outside of Huntsville. I've known Jack for years, but this is the first time I've stopped in and bought anything in some time. I'm processing the tomatoes for the freezer right now and I'm sure they'll be great in the coldness of winter. I've already put up around a bushel of okra as well as some sweet corn. I haven't done as much as usual, but, with the rain, I'm hoping for at least 2 or 3 more weeks of buying food for the freezer. Oh yeah, squash. I love squash and I have been able to freeze a fair amount this year along with some zucchini. For the past few years I have been doing around 75 to 100 pounds of squash and zucchini each year but I wasn't able to do it this year.

I'm hoping to grow my own next year. I just bought a tiller late last week and, if the weather cooperates, I will soon be planting some turnip and collard greens!

No comments: