Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hello from the Land of the Midnight Sun

Fred, I read your blogs with wonder. Your life is so totally different from mine. I haven't been to S.C. in 5 or 6 years. After my parents died, I stilled visited Psamn Williamson occasionally, but after she passed away, I just didn't come back. My husband has cousins in N.C., but we haven't seen them either.

I had to retire from my job as RN in the local ICU in 2000 and my husband took an early retirement from Northwest Airlines the next year so he could keep me company in my life as a bum. We've done a lot of traveling since then and had more fun than you could shake a monkey at......or something like that. The last few years we've been spending a large part of the long dark winter down in Arizona. (We lived there from '70 til '82) We found a great place up in the Lake Havasu area. We bought a pontoon boat and spend a lot of time on the Colorado river.

Haven't gotten to do as much fishing this summer as usual, but I did get down to Seward, Alaska a couple of weeks ago to go out inthe ocean for silver salmon. When they're still in the ocean, they're a lot of fun. Fishing was so-so that week, but Resurrection Bay is one of the most beautiful places on earth, so there's certainly no room to complain.

Yesterday I gave a speech at a Women's Conference concerning the Red Hat Society and my chapter, the Vibrant Valley Divas. Dressed ready for the red carpet, of course, with all the trimmings. Then I had to come home and change into my other role because I leave in the morning to go caribou hunting up near Glennallen, AK. Freezer is empty. Must have meat. I never thought I would enjoy hunting so much. I always loved shooting and was pretty good at it, but I had never hunted or fished until we moved here. Caribou hunting is sort of like deer hunting, except that the animal is larger, the meat has to be carried great distances and someone has to always guard from grizzlies. They know that sound means dinner is nearby.

I'm happy as a pig with a new muddle puddle. Will have my 43rd wedding anniversary in January. Did it right the first time I guess. I'm still crazy about hime and wouldn't trade him for a spotted puppy. My kids are healthy and happy and my dog likes me too.

Have some things going on that just made me want to reach out and share. I still think of Camden often and all the people back there. The only ones I'm in contact with are Buster and Camille Baker Powell, but others are often on my mind. Hope there will be another class reunion before I'm too old and decrepid to dance! I'm so sorry I missed the last one. I was going to attend and visit with Psamn, but she got ill and I cancelled my trip. Lot of woulda', coulda', shoulda's there.

Anyway, I enjoy reading the blog and would love to hear from old acquaintances.

No comments: