Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Buster Is Looking For Some Answers ::

Buster writes the occasional human interest article for the New York Times local newspaper and would like some input on some questions:

1. Which downtown stores had x-rays for your feet before you bought shoes and which stores had those tubes running to the central office so when you purchased an item the money was propelled and then your change came back to you in the same tube? (like the bank drive thru).

2. Where did your parents shop for food?

3. Where did your parents purchase your fall or spring wardrobe?

4. Where was the best hamburger? Hot dog?

5. What did your folks make you wear that you despised?

6. What was the scariest movie you saw?

7. When your family went out for a special occasion where would you go?

{Next questions are about grades 7-9)

8. Which teacher(s) had the meanest reputation?

9. How did Mrs. Duval strike fear in your heart?

10. What distinguished Ruby Dobinco Lindler Zimmerman from other teachers?

11. At what age were you allowed to go to movies and teen-age canteen and what were the rules concerning the opposite sex?

12 What Jr. High teachers made both good and bad impressions on you? Who were your favorites and why?

13. What unusual incidents do you recall having happened during school?

14. What was your most embarrassing moment?

I think that was all of the questions. Answer in comments and we'll try to keep the thread going.

3 comments:

Fred said...

I'll start this off by remembering shopping at Belks and sticking my feet in the x-ray machine. Never failed to amuse me and, as I recall, Belks was then at the location where B.C. Moore was for many years. I don't remember-Is B.C. Moore still there? I seem to recall a different store when I visited last year.

Anonymous said...

1.Belk and B.C. Moores
2.Colonisl store
3.Belk, Smart shop, Young Fashions or Columbia
4.Broad Street Lunch- still is
5.undershirts
6.The Birds
7.Lilfred's and a steak house in Columbia- can't remember the name
8.Mrs. Zimmerman
9.just cruising the halls
10.her stare and pointing her finger
11.14 or 15 (no joke) my mom and sometimes ny dad would go to the movies and sit behind us
12.Miss Craig- so sweet- Mr. Goodwin-his attitude toward young people, Julia Halford- she always had time for us
13.the dead cat hanging from the flag pole at the old Jr High school
14.the day my pj top fell down around my feet while walking to the restroom with some other girls. While getting dressed that morning, i had pulled my PJ top around my waist and forgot to take it off.

sherry cox said...

I remember the store with the xray as Belk. Mom bought groceries at the A&P on Thursday. Mostly Belk but I wanted the Cotton Patch. The Sandwich Box was the spot. Arain coat. The Village of the Dead(or Damned). Lilfred's and the Market in Columbia.(just Mom and Dad, not kids).Probably Mrs. Zimmerman. She knew my dad real well. She pushed you the most.Probably 15.lots of rules.Miss Richardson was the worst because we could scare her. I probably liked Mrs. Mackey the best because she liked me. Boys climbing on the window ledge(second floor) in Mrs. McGrew's class to see the birds.Having to drop geometry in the 8th grade or 9th and go back to Algebra 2. Sherry Lankford Cox