Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Note From Bob McCaskill

Growing up in Camden, I lived at the end of Chestnut - across from one of the Historic old Camden homes. I was one of those youth who walked to school - "up hill, in the snow, both ways." If I left at the right time in the morning, I could hitch a ride with a classmate - Johnny Rush. Johnny was also in the Camden High Band. He played trumpet with Jim Ring. Johnny's dad also had an automobile shop. Johnny drove an A Model Ford. Getting a ride in it was special in two ways. One I didn't have to walk and two - riding it was cool. If I didn't have band practice, track or other school activities, I walked home. At the corner of Mill Street and Chestnut was a home with a fenced in yard. When I approached it, two fantastic small white dogs would charge out of the back yard growling, barking and attacking with no small amount of self esteem. Being a hopeful veterinary student, I would show no fear. I would kneel down and offer them my hand. They would then turn into the sweetest little guys. I later learned that they were West Highland White Terriers.

In 1984, one of the professors wives at the United States Military Academy where I was stationed as the USMA Veterinarian brought in a Westie. Her daughter had rescued him from the Highland Falls, NY pound. Her daughter then married a cadet and they moved to Hawaii. Hawaii like many islands doesn't' t have rabies. They had in those days very stringent importation and quarantine requirements. The Westie stayed home. I told my client how I had always liked the breed. A couple of weeks later, she called and asked if I wanted him, to come to her quarters and pick him up. Clancy joined our family and became my wife (Cathy Montgomery McCaskill) dog. Clancy had many medical issues and we lost him while in Heidelberg, Germany. A year later we started on our Westie quest going to England to visit kennels. We purchased a new West Highland White Terrier puppy from a famous English Kennel. On our quest, Cathy and I met an English Lady named Sue Thomson. Sue later sold us a couple of Westies from her kennel. I purchased a male Westie named Ramsay Mac from Ashgate. He became a champion but because he was a male - it was difficult to manage a boy with our other girls. Ramsay Mac went to live with my mom and dad in Camden. He changed their life. No longer do the plan their week around the different doctors in Camden and Columbia. Now their day is build around Ramsay. Dad keeps a journal and mom has been know to have a 'come pet the dog' party or on occasion - come "puppy sit" when puppies come to town. Dad or mom can been seen daily walking Ramsay Mac near where we live.

As I write this, Westminster Kennel Club dog show is on the TV. Yesterday - a Westie Champion Bebe Queen of Trouble showed as one of the champions that were invited to the show. She didn't take the breed. She took Best of Opposite Sex. This is 2nd place. Of the ten champions invited to compete, she was one of three who will come home with a ribbon. Because the dog who won will retire after Westminster, maybe Bebe will move up to the top Westie spot in 2008. If this happens, I think that I will take dad to MSQ for the show.

Had I not lived in Camden and had I not had to walk to and from Camden High School, I may have not touch these great dogs who have made my families life special.

Bob


I must say that this brings back some long forgotten memories. I remember Bob's desire fore veterinary school as well as Johnny Rush's father's body shop and his love of the old cars.

[edit] I posted this in a hurry because I had to run out for a while, but, while driving up the road, I started wondering about the name. Bob references Johnny Rush, but I'm thinking Johnny Elliott. Am I wrong?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He could have meant Johnny Elliott but both families were associated with the auto repair business, I think. My memory is of Jackie Walden's A-Model truck. It was a fixture at CHS and at band practices after school. Jackie could make it back fire at will by playing with the spark advance. Much fun !!

Jackie's dad had a shop on Broad street in the early 60's but closed it to head the school bus maintenance program for Kershaw County, I believe. Jackie can correct me on this, if I'm wrong.

Bill Marshall